When was your last idea? Did you write it down? Did you actually follow through on that idea? I’m going to guess that the answer is “no”. Most ideas are either forgotten about or shot down. I tend to forget about ideas because I never write them down. This can easily be solved by writing it down on my palm, post-it note, or an email to myself.
Ideas that are remembered are also usually not executed because you mentally shoot them down. For some reason the human mind likes to play it safe and not take risks. This is also when the human mind makes up excuses and puts up a mental barrier.
Some of the common barriers are:
- Start-up Costs – Do you really need Microsoft Office for everyone, the best laptop, an office, or setup an LLC? – Just to name a few. You probably don’t need the latest and greatest software, hardware, and etc. There are many open source products out there that can give you the same or similar functionality of the name brand stuff. Can you rent an office or the equipment?
- Lack of time – Well, you’re going to have to make time! Believe it or not, you may already have some “free” time and you just didn’t know it… Do you take the bus to work? How about using your laptop, phone, or even a pen and paper to write your blog posts, business plan, or respond to client emails? How much time do you spend reading the paper, blog posts, or watch TV? Sounds like that’s some quality time you could be using to work on your next big thing.
- “Someone else beat me to it!” – Who cares! Learn from their mistakes and make your product or service even better.
- “No one will buy it!” – Just remember, “you need to sell your problem before you sell your product.”
- “I don’t have the expertise” – I bet someone does. Use your network: You friends, twitter, Facebook, an ad in the newspaper (not sure about this last one) but I’m sure you’ll find someone.
- And so many more
“The only way to solve the perfect problem is to blow away one of the barriers.” So what’s the problem? Pick the biggest barrier in your way and blow it away!
Long story short, stop making excuses, find the barrier(s), and blow it away! Good Luck!