App Author: Tiverias
Purpose: Give a Gmail user the option to get Push notifications for new emails in their inbox.
Prerequisites: iPhone (duh), Gmail account, and $0.99.
Instructions: Download the app from the App Store on your iPhone. Insert your Gmail credentials.
Note: Make sure you have “Notifications” turned on. Settings –> Notifications.
NOW YOU”RE GOOD TO GO! WAIT!!! Before getting too excited about this I feel that I should mention a few things. The developers are still working on a few issues with the app.. Such as:
- The three notifications settings are controlled from the iPhone settings screen, not the application
- If credentials are refused, a likely cause is too many open connections with Gmail. This can be resolved by unlocking your Gmail account here.
- The badge number changes instantly when emails are deleted or archived, not from reading the email
- For the service to work, IMAP must be enabled in Gmail from the settings screen
- All the above bullet points are directly from Tiverias website.
I have noticed that since the app has been released stability has gotten better every day. Today was especially a good day. Even though I believe that this should have been integrated by Apple in the release of 3.0 (different discussion topic) I think it’s well worth the $0.99. Now if you asked me last week… it definitely wasn’t worth it then.